Staff & Faculty Guide
A Workplace You Can Smile About
As the most diverse university in California, and sixth most in the nation, UCR is a dynamic place to work. We are happy to be a source of information and a point of connection for our talented UCR faculty and staff.
Get Involved With the Campus LGBT Community
We welcome faculty and staff that would like to get further involved with our LGBT and allies community. Opportunities abound.
- Attend the Staff/Faculty Hour, meeting the first Tuesday of every month at noon at the LGBT Resource Center's Meeting Room.
- Register to attend a campus-wide training on LGBTQ Cultural Competency or Creating a Trans-Inclusive Work Environment, or take the online e-course Gender Recognition: A Focus on Transgender, Nonbinary, and Intersex Awareness. Search for the workshop titles at http://ucrlearning.ucr.edu to register.
- Get involved with the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on the Status of LGBTs.
- Connect to LGBTQ scholarly work and research through LGBIT Studies.
- Contact a center staff member to schedule a student panel or educational presentation, providing diverse perspectives on LGBTQ issues and experiences.
- Find educational materials and print handouts to supplement classroom learning.
Enrolling Your Spouse/Partner in UC Health & Retirement Benefits
Enrolling a Non-Registered Partner
If you are in a non-registered same-sex domestic partnership, you can enroll your partner for UC health and welfare benefits by checking the appropriate box on the health enrollment form. Note that you also have to agree to provide, if asked, certain proof of domestic partnership (listed in UC's domestic partnership booklet .
To enroll your non-registered partner for retirement benefits, you must take additional action. You must mail the Office of the President a form known as the UBEN 250, (Declaration of Domestic Partnership) and three supporting documents. The form, the mailing address, a list of acceptable supporting documents, and much more is available in UC's domestic partnership booklet .
Enrolling a Registered Partner
If you are in a registered domestic partnership, you can enroll your partner for UC health and welfare benefits by checking the appropriate box on the health enrollment form. Be sure to tell your benefits rep if you have a California-registered partnership, so that UC handles your tax withholding correctly (you pay federal tax on the benefits you provide, but not California tax).
To enroll your registered partner for retirement benefits, you must take additional action. Mail the UC Office of the President a copy of your California partnership registration. UC's excellent booklet on domestic partnership benefits provides the mailing address and other useful information.
Enrolling a Spouse
If you have a same-sex spouse, you can enroll them just like an opposite-sex spouse, with one exception. You must tell your benefits representative that you have a same-sex spouse so that UC will handle your tax withholding correctly. Because the federal government does not recognize same-sex marriage, you have to pay federal tax on the benefits that you provide your same-sex spouse. You do not have to pay California tax on the benefits for your spouse. Be sure your rep knows your situation.
Register Your Partnership
Want to register your partnership with the State of California? Check out the California Secretary of State website.
- Still Have Questions?
- Transgender Health Coverage
UC Non-Discrimination Milestones
The University of California system is a national leader in LGBT-inclusive policies. “Sexual orientation” was added to its non-discrimination statement in 1983. In 2004, it became one of the first institutions in the nation to ban discrimination on the basis of gender identity. A year later, it became one of the first to provide transgender health coverage for employees.