All Ethnic & Gender (E&G) Centers are open to support your student success and needs. Please check individual websites for specific operational hours and contact info. COVID-19 and return to campus information.

support, education and advocacy since 1993


Living on Campus: A Guide for LGBT Students

LGBTRC - Living on Campus

Living on campus can be truly rewarding. Studies show that students who live on campus tend to be more successful, both academically and socially. UCR Housing staff works hard to make sure our communities are inclusive, safe and geared toward fostering personal growth.



What resources are available to me as a LGBT student?
There are a number of resources available for you at UCR. Some pathways to access those resources include:

  • Residence Life
    Residence Life staff can connect you to organizations and individuals who share common interests with you. They can also help support you should you have any issues while living on campus.
  • The LGBT Resource Center 
    We have great programs, discussion groups, events, outreach programs, volunteer opportunities, student groups, a library and more. Plus, our staff members are always happy to help you find resources, community and support.

Am I alone as an LGBT Student living on campus?
Absolutely not! As you get to know members of your community, you will undoubtedly find others with whom you share similar interests. If you are looking for a more formalized connection, UCR has many great student organizations geared toward LGBT students and their allies.

You can also look for an “Ally” placard displayed on a door or inside an office. These indicate that a person has volunteered and received specific training to be an affirming, receptive resource person for students who identify as LGBT.

What is expected of Residence Life staff?
Members of Residence Life staff include resident advisors, program coordinators, assistant resident directors and resident directors (RAs, PCs, ARDs and RDs).

All are expected to provide support and assistance in addressing concerns for all community members. They take resident concerns seriously and will assist in any way possible. Staff members are most effective when concerned individuals provide accurate information as soon as possible. Many have received training specifically connected to LGBT issues. Remember, they are there to support you.

What should I do if I am having problems with the people I live with?

Let a residence life staff member know there are problems right away. Contact your RA, ARD or RD and talk to them about the conflict. There are a number of problem-solving avenues available to you including mediation, community intervention, the university judicial process or involvement with UC Police. UCR works hard to make our campus comfortable and safe.

What if I feel like nothing is being done about the problem?
Follow up with your RA, ARD or RD. Be persistent. Many times these turn out to be simple misunderstandings that can be addressed with continued dialogue.

What will happen if I report that I am being bothered or harassed because of my sexual orientation or gender expression?
First, it is important that you communicate with your residence life staff that you are being bothered or harassed. They can’t help if they don’t know what’s going on. Here are some things you can expect to happen:

  • You will be asked to describe the events that are happening. Sometimes, this can be challenging, particularly if you do not know the staff member well. However, it is very important so the staff member can determine your needs and take prompt and appropriate action.
  • Staff members will not tell other residents about your situation. However, they will likely need to consult with their supervisor. Also, if the incident affects the community, staff may address the hall to maintain a safe environment.
  • Staff members will discuss options and resources available to you. This could include mediation, judicial action, police involvement, relocation and more.

Should I come out to others in my community?
Only you can decide how much personal information you choose to share with others. It may be helpful to weigh the risks and benefits and consider your own values in coming out. Some students are very open about their identity while others only share with a select group. Regardless, no one has the right to use this information to intimidate you. You may choose to talk to a person who participates in the Allies Program to get a better sense of the climate for LGBT students in your particular hall or building.

Text adapted from a publication used at Michigan State University, Department of Residence Life.

 PDF of “Living on Campus”



Contact a UCR Residence Life Staff Member
Aberdeen-Inverness (951) 827-5460 
Campus Apartments (951) 827-5723 
Crest Family Housing (951) 827-3011
Pentland Hills/Glen Mor (951) 827-6500
Stonehaven (951) 782-7979
Lothian (951) 827-6500

UCR Housing
(951) 827-6350

UCR Police Department
911 (Emergency)
(951) 827-5222 (Non-emergency)

UCR Counseling Center
(951) 827-5531

The LGBT Resource Center
(951) 827-2267