Subscribe to our E-Newsletter!
The center has moved to a new E-newsletter format and has discontinued the use of our previous Listservs. Visit the E-newsletter page for info on how to subscribe. Receive zoom links to our programs and special announcements in your inbox.
New Presidential Policy on Gender Recognition and Lived Name will bring changes to gender identity policies and procedures over next 3 years
- This new presidential policy ensures all individuals are identified by their accurate gender identity and lived or preferred name on university-issued documents and in UC’s information systems by providing guidance on the collecting and reporting of gender identity lived name, and sexual orientation.
- Effective November 6, 2020, the systemwide policy must be fully implemented by December 31, 2023.
- The policy applies to all University students, employees, alumni, and affiliates
- Full Policy & Appendix
Updates & Resources for Trans-Related health care under the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
- SHIP benefits overview for 2020-21 – includes new coverage for facial feminization surgeries.
- Therapists referral list for gender-related assessments and letters of support
- Surgical referrals provided by UCR Student Health Services.
- Checklist to get medical approval for surgeries under SHIP.
You can contact Letty Toral at UCR Student Health Services for SHIP assistance, or you can call the number provided by the UC SHIP plan. We are here to support you. To find a provider or receive additional information for these services, contact UCSHIP Customer Service at 866-940-8306.
Info on UC Transgender and Nonbinary Health Benefits for Employees
UCOP has created a new web page on Transgender and Nonbinary Health Benefits for employees. Please know you can contact UCR’s Health Care Facilitator with any questions or to address access to care. UCR’s facilitator is Ranada Palmer. Learn more about Ranada’s role, including confidential one-on-one assistance in resolving health plan issues.
Tutorials on Using Lived/Preferred Names Online and On Campus
You may use your Lived/Preferred First Name at UCR. Follow the tutorials below. Please note that your Legal Name will still be used for official University business such as Financial Aid, medical records, and other interactions external to the campus.
- How To Change Your Preferred Name in R’Web and in R’Mail
- iLearn - Updating Name or Email Address
- Zoom - Changing Default Display Name
Students Can Now Update Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Optional Demographic Info in Student Record
Since 2016, the UC Admissions Application has included optional demographic questions regarding sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI). Now UCR students can update this information, or add info if they were admitted to UCR before 2016, by using R'Web Self-Service. The UCR update form also expands the answer options compared to the UC Admissions Application form. Answering SOGI demographic questions is always optional.This information as a group will help UCR develop resources for a more inclusive campus environment. Individual student info, like all student record info, is protected by federal privacy laws. Check out the FAQs regarding SOGI data by clicking here .
Download Our Smart Phone App
You can download the UCR Guide app to your smart phone all about the LGBT Resource Center at UCR! It is both iPhone- and Android-Friendly. Features include events info, Faces of Pride, UCR Out List, announcements in-box, the UCR Trans Guide, student groups info, links to applications and registration forms, etc. Search for "UCR" in your phone's app store and download the Guidebook, or link to the landing page. Open the app on your phone and select the LGBTRC Guide to download.