Trans Guide 

glyphs symbols  


We are happy to support our transgender, genderqueer, gender nonconforming and/or gender questioning community. Use our Trans Guide to learn more about campus resources, supportive programs and special events connected to gender identity and expression at UCR. It includes guidance on everything from how to change your name on university records to local trans-related community resources.



Are there any trans organizations or resources in the Inland Empire?

We are currently updating this section, because some community resources have recently changed.

  • Transgender Alliance of Greater Riverside iwas launched in 2015. TAGR js a community of transgender activists who plan social events and network with local agencies to provide resources for trans people of all ages. Visit their Facebook Page.

You can also browse our Community Resources Guide for more LGBT resources in the Riverside and San Bernardino area.

Are trans-related health needs covered by employee health insurance benefits?

Yes, UC employee insurers offer coverage of hormone therapy, psychological counseling and certain transgender-related surgical needs. Learn more here.

Are trans-related health needs covered by the undergraduate or graduate health insurance programs (USHIP AND GSHIP)?

USHIP and GSHIP cover hormones therapy and cover gender confirming surgeries. However, the campus is still working on access to medical providers for these benefits.

Students are encouraged to speak with LGBTRC Director Nancy Tubbs if they wish to learn more about campus procedures related to trans health.

  • LGBTRC staff members are also available to act as advocates for students as they navigate campus resources, including the Counseling Center and Campus Health Center.
  • Of course, both the Counseling Center and Campus Health Center have received specific training on issues related to trans health and are welcoming, safe spaces for all students.
  • Contact us to reach Nancy and the rest of the LGBTRC staff if you need help.

How do I change my gender on university student records?

If you have also legally changed your name and would like to change that on records as well, a note may be added to the “Change or Correction of Name Form” requesting that the registrar also change your gender to the correct one.

You may change your gender on student records without legally changing your name by making a request with the Office of the Registrar.

Please Note: Housing does not use student records for noting residents' gender, but rather defers to responses on the online housing application, which allows students to choose “male,” “female” or “self-identify (fill in a response).”

How do I change my name on university student records?

Any name change must first be legally changed under state and federal law (this same policy applies to other name changes, such as when students take a spouse's name). Students requesting a change or correction of name must complete a “Change or Correction of Name form and present it with a photo ID and legal documentation (such as a court order, birth certificate, or passport) showing the correct name to the Office of the Registrar.  Learn more about the process and download the "Change or Correction of Name Form.

How do I find gender-inclusive or single-occupancy restrooms on campus?

See our Single-Occupancy Restrooms page for a guide to all of the single-occupancy restrooms on campus.

Is "gender identity" included in the UCR non-discrimination statement?

The University of California added "gender identity" to the non-discrimination statement in 2004. The statement was updated again in 2008 and is stated below.

The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,1 physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services.2 The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities:

  1. Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.
  2. Service in the uniformed services includes membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation for service in the uniformed services.

The Office of Faculty and Staff Affirmative Action at UCR addresses questions and concerns regarding equal employment opportunity.

The UCR Hate/Bias Response Team addresses bias incidents, including UCR people targeted based on their gender identity/expression.

What kinds of trans programs are offered at UCR?

  • Trans Group
    This discussion group is comprised of UCR students, staff, and faculty and includes those who are trans-identified, genderqueer, gender questioning and partners. Please contact LGBTRC Director Nancy Tubbs at or 951-827-2267 for more information including meeting times and location.
  • Asterisk
    Asterisk is a registered student orgaization for trans students and allies that meets weekly. In 2015, Asterisk partnered with the LGBT Resource Center to host the Asterisk Trans* Conference.
  • T*Camp
    T*Camp is an intercampus retreat to explore gender identity and expression and to engage in dialogue with our peers. This event is specifically for students who are transgender, genderqueer, or gender questioning (TGQQ). Applications open online every October, and the retraet is every January.
  • Tuesday Talks - Fluidity
    This Tuesday night discussion group is for those who want to talk about the genderqueer, bisexual, pansexual, trangender, queer and questioning communities, as well as whether or not any labels connected to sexual orientation or gender identity are necessary.
  • Trans Allies Safe Zone Program
    The Trans Allies Safe Zone Program helps educate people about how to be better allies to people who are trans, genderqueer, gender nonconforming, intersex or gender questioning. You can also find Trans Allies on campus through the directories on our Allies page.
  • Trans Remembrance Display
    This annual on-campus display honors those lost due to transphobic violence.
  • The LGBT Resource Center Library
    Our library has a multitude of books and films connected to trans/genderqueer issues. Come see!   
  • Featured Speakers
    We often host inspiring speakers who speak about issues that matter to the trans/genderqueer community. Past speakers include Ryka Aoki, Butchlalis de Panochtitlan, Disposable Boy Toys, Helen Hill, Thea Hillman, Raci Ignacio, Miss Major, Deidre McCloskey, and Drago Renteria.
  • See our events calendar for all of our upcoming events .

What trans/genderqueer books and films are available in your library?

Where can I get medical care regardless of my health insurance coverage?

The LA Gay & Lesbian Center's Trans Health Program offers services on a sliding scale. The Transgender Health Program provides comprehensive primary health care as well as trans-specific services such as pap smears for trans men, prostate exams for trans women, and hormone-therapy supervision and post-surgical care for those who have undergone sex-reassignment surgery. Learn more here.

Will I be able to find trans-friendly student housing on campus?

The Gender Inclusive Housing Option allows students to room with any other student, regardless of physical sex or gender identity. This option is available in the Pentland Hills residence hall and features private, single-person restrooms and showers. You can explore this option and also check out UCR Housing Policies Related to Gender Identity/Expression and Stonewall Hall, the LGBTQIA residence hall community (also in Pentland Hills) at our Housing page.

Will the UCR Health Center administer transgender hormonal therapy?

The UCR Health Center will make referrals to an off-campus medical practitioner with expertise in transgender hormonal therapy. If the student plans to use their student health insurance to cover the hormone therapy and referral doctor care, the student should first make an appointment with a UCR Health Center physician to get a referral. The student will then visit with a Student Health Insurance Program staff person to learn how to access insurance coverage for the referral medical appointments. LGBTRC staff members are available to act as student advocates during this process. In addition, with a referral or doctor's request, the UCR Health Center will also conduct medical tests such as blood screens, and send the test results to the referral doctor. The campus is working on a list of referral doctors.

More Information